Teach in Spain - Language Assistant
Experience a beautiful culture, teach English, learn Spanish. Apply Now!
About teaching in Spain
Are you thinking of enhancing your career overseas?
ESLstarter have partnered with a prestigious English programme in Spain which has seen more than 1800 alumni participate since it was established in 2009.
CAPS (Conversation Assistant Programme for Schools) is a programme which is dedicated to placing energetic, creative native English speakers in Spanish schools as a Conversation Assistant (CA) for 25 hours per week in the classroom.
The role of a Conversation Assistant focuses on improving the confidence of your students when conversing in the English language by facilitating English conversation practice.
Benefits of teaching in Spain
- Student grant of 465€ monthly
- Accommodation with a local host family
- Access to Spanish public health care system
- Travel insurance provided for non EU citizens
- All details of your placement pre-arranged and approved by you before arrival
- 24/7 Support and feedback from your assigned tutor / mentor and program head office
HASMUKH, LA SALLE MANRESA, BARCELONA
Overall, this has been a huge experience, and as nervous as I was on the first day, I don't regret my decision to come here one bit. I am entirely grateful to both my host families, the program organisers, and La Salle Manresa. All of the fantastic experiences I've had since coming here wouldn't be possible without them.
One main advantage of choosing this programme is that each CA lives with a volunteer host family.
Living with locals rather than other travellers enables the CA to receive an authentic first-hand cultural experience. If a CA really wants to give the most of themselves by spending time with the family, this is reciprocated, and it is usual that the CA forms strong bonds that continue after the programme has finished and for many years to come.
Schedule, dates & regions
CA's would teach 25 hours per week between Monday and Friday.
The contract is for one school year.
Arrive: October / Immediate 2017
Finish: End May / June 2018
Recruitment is ongoing and so you can apply now to join the process for a possible entry into the programme.
The primary regions are Catalonia & Valencia. Please note that when applying for an immediate start, you would need to be flexible with regard to placement location.
Your teaching duties
- Assist the main teacher of the class and give the students some insight into your culture
- Facilitate group and pair work with students
- Help with language related tasks like pronunciation or sentence stucture
- Assist with other subjects that may be taught in English such as Science, Art, IT etc.
- Be involved with the preparation of teaching and assessment materials
- Contribute cultural and language exchange with the host family
Additional tasks (dependent on programme):
- Speaking (conversation practice) with teachers - CAPS PLUS
- Constructive hours dedicated to host family - CAPS PLUS
- Speaking (conversation practice) with teachers + reinforcing English language structure - CAPS PLUS
- After-school activities - CAPS PLUS
Requirements for TEFL jobs in Spain
- Bachelors degree in any field
- Native English speaker
- Happy to work with children
- Open minded and adaptable
- Age between 18 and 30
- No criminal record
- Previous experience working with children in an educational setting