Be part of an amazing experience and teach in China with this reputable, immersive program that gets you to the heart of life in China. Apply today!
Explore China helps you discover more about China's unique culture and gain international TEFL experience.
- GAIN REAL CLASSROOM TEACHING EXPERIENCE - you will be working with Young Learners (4 - 12 year olds)
- MAKE CONNECTIONS - in a rewarding, supportive environment and build lasting friendships with your students
- SHARE YOUR CULTURE- tell your students about who you are and where you come from!
- SUPPORT ON HAND - 24/7 experienced, local support team allowing you complete peace of mind during your stay in China
- HAPPY COMMUNITY - enjoy continuous training, teaching tips and social events
You can enjoy some lovely benefits
- RMB 4,000 p / month stipend (enough for a good lifestyle in China)
- Free accommodation
- RMB 2,000 flight bonus (paid on program completion)
- Letter of recommendation
- Support with Visa process
- Shanghai city tour
- Airport meet & greet
- Help to set up a local bank account
- Free Lonely Planet E Guide to China
Your teach in China journey starts here!
- Enjoy a full orientation in Shanghai where you will meet the local team
- Receive expert support and training in preperation for interviews and demos which MOST Chinese schools require
- After interview / demo, the matching process takes places and you will be assigned an approved school
- Receive ongoing training, professional feedback and full support throughout your stay
Does this sound like you?
- Native English speaker (USA, UK, IRE, NZ, SA, AUS, CAN PASSPORT HOLDERS)
- 20 - 35 years old
- No previous teaching experience needed
- TEFL certificate (if you don't have TEFL right now, you can still apply and get the TEFL later)
- Positive attitude and willingness to engage with a new culture
- No degree required
Explore China Program Dates
You can arrive in Shanghai any month - we are hiring year round! Let us know when works for you and we will do the rest.
> Intakes every month
> Your program is for 5 months from whichever month you choose to arrive
What's not included
- Flight to China
- Visa fees (you will need to budget approximately £120 / $ 170 for this)
- Proof of no criminal record check
- Spending money for first month in China (approx. £300 / $420)
- Travel insurance
FAQs for teaching in China
- Which airport do I fly to?
You need to arrive at Shanghai Pudong International Airport (PVG). The local team will meet you there and take you to orientation.
- Do I receive onward transfer to placement city?
Yes, you will be provided with onward transfer to your host town or city on completion of orientation. This would be inclusive of transport costs. On arrival at your host town or city, you'll be met by a school representative.
- Can I be placed together with other interns?
There is usually one intern per school. However, this program is very popular and as such there is a large network of expat teachers with regular social events and meet ups.
- How much will I get paid?
The monthly allowance is RMB¥4,000 (US$620/£445). You are paid on 15th of each month either in cash or by wire transfer to your Chinese bank account.
- What age of students would I be teaching?
Most students would be young learners and so 4 - 12 years of age.
- Can couples and friends be placed together?
The Admissions team will do their best to accommodate requests and it is best to apply early if you want to be placed together with a friend or partner.
- In which cities are the placements?
The three main locations are Shanghai, Jiangsu and Zhejiang. You can request a placement preference and positions are assigned on a first come first served basis.
- What is the accommodation like?
Accommodation (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVYtqxvrS6o) is provided rent free throughout your stay on the program. You can expect a shared or private apartment. If the apartment is shared, you would have your own private room.
- What extras do I need to budget for?
Here is a list of the things you should keep in mind when budgeting for your trip. - Doctor’s note - confirming you are fit to teach and travel in China - Criminal record check - Comprehensive travel insurance - please ask ESLstarter for a specialized insurance quote - Visa - Flight - Spending money for the first 5 - 7 weeks in China before you receive your monthly allowance