Apply to Teach in Korea at a public school
If you have a thirst for travel, dream of teaching English in an exotic, far-off land and hold a Bachelor's degree, why not teach English at a public school in sparkling South Korea!
Fantastic Teaching Jobs in Korea - Start February or August
Teaching English in Korea offers you a unique opportunity to part of a local community, share your knowledge and experience exciting new cultural horizons!
From laid-back beach-side town to traditional rural community to buzzing metropolis, we can help you secure the location that you really want.
- KRW1.9 - 2.7 Million monthly (depending on experience)
- KRW1,300,000 Entrance Allowance to cover flight cost into Korea
- KRW1,300,000 Exit Allowance upon completion of contract
- Rural Allowance + Provincial allowance (depending on location)
- KRW300,000 Settlement Allowance (one-time payment)
- Free fully furnished housing or, where housing is not available, a rent subsidy of KRW400,000
- 3 Weeks PAID vacation (8 day summer recess, 10 day winter recess) + approximately 12 national holidays
- 22 hours of class teaching required per week
- Overtime pay or KRW20,000 per hour per supplementary class
- Severance pay equivalent to one month's salary
- Tax exemption for 2 years apart from Irish & Canadians due to lack of ROK Treaty
- Compulsory medical insurance - 50% of premiums paid by employer
- National Pension scheme - 50% of contributions paid by employer
- Full 8 day orientation
- One year contract
- All national holidays
- Free Lonely Planet eBook guide to South Korea
Laura Robbins, Gwangju
When it came to arriving in South Korea, ESLstarter continued to be of assistance, and arranged for Phil to meet those arriving at Incheon Airport and ensure that we all knew where to go to greet the EPIK staff.
Start February or August
- February in-take - October 1st
- August in-take - March 31st
PLEASE NOTE: positions tend to fill up extremely quickly so it is best to apply as early as possible. Please note that the deadlines above are subject to change.
- Nationality of UK, USA, CA, SA, AUS, NZ, SA or IRE
- Bachelor's degree in any discipline
Applicants must also have at least ONE of the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Education / English / English Education / English Literature or Linguistics (major's in Writing will be considered as an English major. E.g., Creative Writing, Critical Writing)
- Valid teacher certification for either Elementary or Secondary level schools
- TESOL / TEFL or an English Teaching Certificate comprising a minimum of 100 course hours (can be applied for now as long as qualification will be received before mid January) - Sign up for your TEFL course here.
- Master's Degree
- Bachelor's degree in any discipline with at least ONE full year of English teaching experience
If you do not currently have any of the above qualifications, the easiest way to get the eligibility is to take a 100+ hour TEFL qualification.
You would need to complete your TEFL qualification by mid January or mid July at the latest.
For applicants who need to complete a TEFL course in order to get the eligibility to apply for a public school job in Korea, we offer a 120 hour Online TEFL qualification here.
Where can I teach?
Locations available for teaching in Korea include:
If you want to apply specifically for teaching in Seoul, please see Seoul Public School Vacancies
About public school teaching jobs in Korea
- Teach just 22 classes per week
- Very stable working conditions - this program is sponsored by the Korean government
- Receive a salary of at least 1.9 Million KRW per month
- More benefits include a free, fully furnished private apartment + airfare allowances + settlement allowance + completion bonus + generous vacations + medical insurance
- Share this experience with 100s of other native English teachers
- Korean co-teacher in every class
- Full training and orientation
- No experience necessary!
Destination South Korea
A country of soaring mountains, ancient fortresses, resplendent palaces, futuristic cities and 50 million welcoming hand-shakes, Korea offers an endless array of experiences! Slurp at mouthwatering kimchi soup, check-out ancient temples hidden amongst Seoul's tangled side-streets, soak up the bohemian atmosphere of remote mountain towns or just unwind in one of Korea's soothing hot spring spas. The ''Soul of Asia'' welcomes you!
Pete Christie, Seoul
I'm teaching and living in the north of Seoul and have loved every single day so far. The teaching is fun, all my new friends are amazing and Seoul is a great place to live!
Why apply through ESLstarter?
- Successfully placed over 800 teachers onto the EPIK program
- Reselected as an official public school recruiter for the previous 5 years
- Provide full guidance & support throughout application process maximizing your chances of success
- Expert feedback on initial documents to reduce the chance of unsuccessful application at the first screening stage
- Interview tips and guidance
- Full visa document checking service which will speed up your application and help you to save money on mailing costs
- 100s of testimonials from previous teachers who applied through ESLstarter
- Extremely high application success rate
- Greeting at Incheon airport upon arrival in Korea from an ESLstarter representative
- Free Lonely Planet E-Guide to successful ESLstarter teachers
- Access to Facebook group where you can meet and chat to other ESLstarter EPIK teachers
- Speedy & completely FREE recruitment service!
Want to find out what our previous teachers have to say about ESLstarter? Read ESLstarter teacher testimonials here